Note: I received a free sample of Maybelline’s Great Lash Royal Blue mascara from Influenster. All opinions expressed in this article are my own and, as always, are brutally honest. #mamadontlie
When the blue lash trend re-emerged on the Spring 2017 runways, my 90s kid heart was really excited to re-create bold, blue lashes. But I was worried. Is this a beauty trend a thirty-something mom living in the ‘burbs can pull off? And then – as if from God himself – I received an email from Influenster … Maybelline’s Great Lash Royal Blue mascara is re-launching, and a tube was on its way to me to sample and review. Booyah.
Great Lash mascara originally launched in 1971 and is still a top-rated beauty buy. Great Lash Royal Blue has the same volumizing and lengthening qualities as the traditional hues but with a subtle blue that really makes your eyes pop. WARNING: when you look at the mascara wand, the blue is really blue and bright and intimidating. But even with a lash primer, the color is subtle enough for everyday makeup.
After researching and browsing Pinterest for blue lash inspiration, I am happy to report that this is a look anyone can pull off – yes, even you. Here’s the 4-1-1 on this colorful makeup trend.
Wearing Blue Mascara
There is a mascara shade to complement every eye color, but blue is a universal hue that pairs well with all eye colors. Probably why this trend is so popular.
Blue mascara makes a statement on its own. So, let your lashes do the talking with a simple, natural eye. For the face, apply just enough bronzer and a peachy blush to give your cheekbones color. Day or night, I love the look of blue mascara with a bold, red lip. If red lipstick isn’t your thing, you can join me over in the land of matte nudes.
How Blue Can You Go?
Most of the blue lash looks that you see photographed are dramatic, as they should be on the runway or in a catalog. But that sort of attention isn’t always desired in real life. So, there are a few tricks to getting just the right amount of blue you prefer.
- For bold blue lashes, use your favorite lash primer before applying your blue mascara.
- For a more subtle blue, apply blue mascara only to your top lashes or only to the ones on the bottom (which is a little edgier).
- For just a hint of blue, apply a coat of black mascara and then add a layer or two of blue over it. Or just coat the tip of your lashes with blue.
Get the Look
Re-create this easy, everyday blue lash look in six easy steps – using only drug store products!
- After applying your usual base of foundation and concealer, sweep a gold shadow on your eyelids. Then blend a light brown/taupe shadow at the corner of your lids and into the creases.
- Draw a thin line of black eyeliner along the lash line of your upper lash line, extending past just slightly.
- Coat your top lashes with one coat of lash primer.
- Apply two or more coats of Great Lash Royal Blue to your top lashes.
- Add some blush and bronzer to your cheeks.
- Finish with a matte lipstick in nude.
Great Lash Royal Blue will be available April 30 exclusively at Walmart – don’t miss it!