The dog days of summer bring longer days, slower schedules, sunshine, cocktails by the pool and family beach trips! Warmer temps mean more laid back styles and bright pops of color so you can be ready for anything a day at the office or a day at the pool with your kids brings!
We’ve scoured runway reports, fashion news and the racks at our favorite stores to bring you The Modern Mamanista’s Summer Must-Have List. To make the cut, each item needed to be versatile enough to wear at work or on the weekend, as well as budget-friendly and made with real moms in mind. We’ve also made sure that each piece is under $100. There’s nothing worse than reading a mom fashion blog and clicking on those “must have sandals” to see that they are $387!
Bright colors, gingham, summer classic blues and whites and of course anything that reminds us of cocktails on the beach lead summer fashion this season! Be on the look out for future #OOTD featuring some of our favorite “go to” summer trends in future posts!
- Citrus Hues: This summer, citrusy shades like lemon, ruby red grapefruit, orange and pink lemonade will have you dreaming of sunshine and tropical drinks with cute, little umbrellas! So far shades of lemon are showing an early lead with yellow dresses, office-friendly skirts in yellow florals and patterns and blouses for work and weekend in lemony shades already hitting store shelves and online shops just in time for early summer!
- Gingham Check: Vintage inspired gingham and checks are making a comeback this summer in tops, dresses and shoes and accessories. The print feels very Reese Witherspoon and divinely southern to us and we’re okay with that. Lots of tied sleeves and knots with this trend and black and white gingham seems to be the front contender in women’s fashion. Pair a gingham blouse with distressed denim shorts and flip flops for the weekend or with a pair of bold pants and pumps for the office. Not sure about the whole summer checks trend? Start with a tote or great pair of espadrilles instead!
- Statement Straw: We’re all still obsessed with the straw bag for everyday wear! This summer expect to see straw bags, totes, hats, and beach-inspired accessories everywhere. This season, you’ll see classic solid colors and also new designs with added pops of color, stripes, tropical appliques, and pom poms to kick the straw trend up a notch!
- Tropical Getaway Prints: It seems like everyone is dreaming of a tropical beach vacation this season with pineapples, flamingos, tropical cocktails and palm leaves showing up on everything from purses to hats and clothing! It’s 5 o’clock somewhere! Bring on the pina coladas!
- Blue & White Stripes: Whether you call it chambray, sky blue or light blue, this crisp and subtly feminine mix of blue and white stripes is a hot trend this summer. Maybe it’s because the combination makes office wear feel a bit more laid back for summer or maybe it reminds us of the beach umbrella from our last vacation! Dresses, shoes and blouses seem to be leading the pack on this trend and offer the most versatility to take the look from work to weekend!
- Bright Shoes: Put some color in your step with brightly colored sandals, pumps and slip on sneakers for summer. Brightly colored shoes are everywhere this season for work and weekend! Add a fun pop of color to your black and navy office wardrobe or jazz up your weekend uniform of cut-off denim and basic v-neck tee with a bold pair of colored sandals. This is such an easy way to amp up any outfit. Many designers are even combining trends, pairing colorful shoes with embellished straps, sequins, straw details and even tropical accents like palm trees, flamingos and pineapples! Move over Cinderella, these mamas are definitely embracing this trend!